It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:52 pm

HDD Image for backup and change of OS 
eXo Member LOA
eXo Member LOA

Post HDD Image for backup and change of OS
Hi all!

My wife has a Inspiron Mini netbook pc, which runs windows XP.

I am considering the possibility of upgrade it to windows 7.

But in case it lacks the capacity (RAM, among others), I would like to have the chance to restore to it's actual condition.

So, I think I could make an image of it's HDD (I have an external HDD with 320 GB and NTFS file system) for backup.

The question is: you think this could work?

In case win7 works worse than XP or if there is some incompatiblillity with the hardware, I should be able to restore the HDD to full operating winXP with all the programs and stuff she is carrying by today.

Anyone has done this before?

Thanks and regards =)

Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:26 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
eXo Honored Guest
eXo Honored Guest

Post Re: HDD Image for backup and change of OS
Do it all the time on my personal and work netbooks (and network pc's, even servers)

Works like a champ - I use Nortons Ghost to capture the image...boot it via a usb drive (fat32 format) and go to town...

Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:01 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
eXo Member
eXo Member

Windows 7 has an upgrade advisor it will tell you how compatible the puter is and let you now which xp items are not supported by win 7. I suggest you run the upgrade advisor first. It is available on the microsoft website!!!

eXo|Grissom(R)
... eXo|ColCarter
... ... eXo|IbPilot
... ... ... eXo|Salty25

Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:52 pm
eXo Member
eXo Member

There are some free forensic tools that allow people to make images in various formats such as .dd, .eo1 etc and then restore them. You can also do it using certain Linux boot disks.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:56 pm
Profile WWW
eXo Member
eXo Member

Here's one that might help: http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:54 pm
Profile WWW
eXo Honored Guest
eXo Honored Guest

That tool is great, but it's an upgrade advisor, so it's not perfect for a "clean" install...some of the possible problems are irrelevant simple because (hopefully) you'd do a fresh install...I have never tried an upgrade in my life to be honest...just too risky and Windows builds up too much garbage over the years of use...

One example is the advisor red flagged "Microsoft" FrontPage 2003 - I reloaded it anyways, along with my "Microsoft "Money 2000...both run fine...I am sure somewhere there is something they don't like about old programs to get ya to buy new, but chances are it'll work...I play my 95 copy of Red Alert still...it took a lil work, but they haven't tooled the OS that much (that or bored dorks that like old games just have too much spare time to make up these patches to make old junk work...lol)

And FYI, my netbook is an Acer Aspire One...most netbooks are identical with the atom chip and 1gb ram...suprisingly, I loaded one (I have 4 identical ones) with Windows 7 and every single thing to see if I could do the same tasks with the same software and everything worked out.

Now I needed to enable the telnet client and copy over two files to get hyperterminal going (Putty just isn't my cup of tea)...

But I can upgrade secure telephones/devices - reason that's important is the government doesn't update anything for years so those programs are old, Office 2010 Pro (Visio and Project as well), which is brand new, and they all run great and everything else in between...runs quite a bit faster than XP...shocked me to be honest. Even Turbo Tax runs quicker on my 7 netbook.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:17 am
Profile ICQ WWW
eXo Member LOA
eXo Member LOA

Thanks for your advice Dogg. really appreciated!

I'm more concern of the Dell software, this little one comes with a GPS (not really usable on this latitude because all maps are for north hemisphere).

I'm thinking in putting Windows 7 Ultimate on the netbook..

Which version of Windows 7 is more adequate for a netbook, according your experience?

Thank you and best regards!

Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:49 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
eXo Honored Guest
eXo Honored Guest

I've loaded Basic, Home Premium and Professional on netbooks. All worked like a champ, although basic leaves out certain abilities like being able to watch DVD's...nothing a free dvd playing program can't fix, but a lot of netbooks were/are coming with it loaded - hitch is, not a lot of people get a portable DVD player so it's not any issue...I'd physically attached one to the back of the monitor, along with a CAC card reader and I can use it to attach to any goverment or military device I use, as well as watch movies while in transit...

Pro is my current installation and it runs great. Ultiamte just adds a few more tools and asthetic upgrades, so perfomance wise, nothing that would hamper it in any fashion at all.

Newegg charges like 10 ro 15 more for OEM ultimate so I get that when I see it if I am buying something else that qualifies the purchase. There isn't any more horsepower need to fuel it, speaking from a netbook perspective...

But overall, Basic isn't worth it. (Not even sure you can buy it anyways...I think some manufactures have it just for netbook oem installs)

Home Premium is probably all you'll need for your personal use.

Pro will let you add it to a network (Domain) and run special programs like XP mode, which basically lets you run a downloadable virtual XP system if you have old apps that Vista or 7 couldn't support. By default, this is the lowest version I get, but because of work needs and how much I get around. If I had a regular job and just used it at home and leisure travel, Home Premium would do fine.

Ultimate is overkill, but again, if you are getting pro and ultimate is just a few dollars more, it's too cheap not to upgrade and since Pro runs like a champ on my netbooks, this would too...in your case though, I believe it has some better language features that work on the fly...I know on my ultimate versions, there are language packs out the wazzu so that small fee may make it even more worthwhile...

Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:34 pm
Profile ICQ WWW