It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:41 pm

COD Down 
eXo Member LOA
eXo Member LOA

Post COD Down
I was playing COD4 the other day, on the mod server, and the program stopped on me. Well its done that before so I just restarted and kept going.

Well, it happened again later but it would not let me restart the game. I figured to deal with the next day.

So last night I still couldn't get COD4 to run when I got home. I finally started the program in single player and then switched to multiplayer and it worked.

Well today it's doing it again. This time however I can start single player but it will not switch to muliplayer.

I get a message that IW3MP.exe has stopped working. I tried it in normal and safe modes and neither will allow the program to run.

Any ideas?

Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:50 pm
eXo Member LOA
eXo Member LOA

Post Re: COD Down
Salty I would uninstall and reinstall the game.

Fresh

... ... ... eXo|Hotel25
"EXODUS.. Movement of Jah People" - Bob Marley
"Pride, the never-failing vice of fools" - Alexander Pope

Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:11 pm
eXo Member LOA
eXo Member LOA

I was leaning that way. However, before I do and have to start over from the bottom. Does anyone know which files I need to backup so I can put them back later?

Does it matter for the CD key as well? I have both my son's and my cd case here and don't know which is on my computer.

Thanks.

Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:20 pm
eXo Member LOA
eXo Member LOA

Well, I found the profile folder and made a copy of it. I then uninstalled and reinstalled COD4. Had it make new shortcuts and everything but its still not working.

Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:22 pm
eXo Founder
eXo Founder

My suggestion...

Google and see what you come up with. Since it could be OS specific not sure it makes sense to guess w/out some basic research...

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig& ... gle+Search

Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:27 pm
eXo Member LOA
eXo Member LOA

Guess I should have gave more info.

Running Vista Home on a Q9550 with 4Gb ram, GTX460 with 2Gb ram.

I checked the error message and found solutions from video drivers, sound drivers, punkbuster update, etc.

I checked the event viewer but don't know what I'm looking for, so a lot of good that does.

Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:18 pm
eXo Member LOA
eXo Member LOA

It's weird but it started running again last night. After doing the uninstall and reinstall it kept doing the same thing.

Finally last night it started after I did a flight on FSX. I loaded all the update/patches and reinstalled PB. I put in the IPs for the two eXo servers; one worked but the other didn't.

I did get on last night and allowed multiple people to practice shooting a moving target, namely me. Everyone seemed to have fun at my expense so I guess it's all good.

Guess I'll see how long it continues to work.

Thanks.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:26 pm
eXo Member LOA
eXo Member LOA

Well that didn't last long.

I did find out through the event viewer that it may have something to do with the Desktop Windows Manager (DWM). If I read right that has something to do with how windows manages video.

The event viewer showed that iw3mp was trying to stop the DWM. When it couldn't the program stopped running.

One thread I read suggested to turn it off through the window services. I did and it didn't work. I also did a check of the system files and they all checked good.

There was a suggestion to check the RAM and video RAM. Anyone know how I can do that?

Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:59 pm
eXo Member
eXo Member

Memory check instructions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... r-computer

It does sound like a conflict. have you tried turning off other applications that are running in the background with task manager?

You can go into device manager and uninstall other things like your video card sound card and stuff and reboot let it refind you devices and install them and their drivers again.

When did this start? did you do something right before it started hapenning? I mean you were running fine for years, then all of a sudden! what has changed new cards? drivers? software? usb device? HDD? memory stick? Usually this kinda thing does not happen out of the blue, there is usually an event between when it worked fine and when it didnt work fine. Sometimes that event can seem small and insignifigant, backup, defragment, install a new program. think of anything??

eXo|Grissom(R)
... eXo|ColCarter
... ... eXo|IbPilot
... ... ... eXo|Salty25

Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:34 pm
eXo Member LOA
eXo Member LOA

Thought of all that. The only thing I did was run CCleaner a few days prior. I made a backup of the registry and reloaded it to try that. Same issue came up when I tried to run COD4.

However, I was able to get running tonight. I found another site that said it was a audio setting issue. Went into the audio settings and turned everything and it started working.

The audio recording and stereo mix were turned off. Flipped them boys to on and it the game started loading.

Got some pilot kills to prove it. :twisted:

Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:54 pm
eXo Member
eXo Member

Glad you got it fixed, I dont know, i wasnt counting but i would have to say i was a few up on you this evening??? Granted i let you have a few, didnt want you to have a sleepless night!! 8) :D

eXo|Grissom(R)
... eXo|ColCarter
... ... eXo|IbPilot
... ... ... eXo|Salty25

Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:10 am